Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Music and my Mother-in-law

I generally look forward to Christmastime. I like the general feeling of cheeriness, the anticipation, the enthusiasm of children, etc. This year has been different. Last year was so hectic, so many events, rushing around shopping, unrealistic expectations unfulfilled. Don't get me wrong, it was still pretty good, but I didn't enjoy that other crap at all and I'm certainly not looking forward to it this year. I was ready to be a grinch and resist every effort of cheer. My Mother and Father-in-law came to stay with us for a week at Thanksgiving. I always look forward to their visits, I always have. I'm not involved in any of the stereotypes so just clear them out of your mind. Even with a great visit and one of the best Thanksgiving celebrations ever, I was still ready to assume the role of scrooge, until my Mother-in-law, Lynnette Rodriguez, decided to practice a piano piece that she will be performing for a Christmas program at Church. She is playing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" as arranged by Sally DeFord, a great arrangement. You should know that Lynnette is a very gifted pianist. She would have been a concert pianist if it wasn't for a hand injury she suffered as a child. Nevertheless, she has always been able to play anything! songs from the radio, requests on demand, all from memory. She can even transcribe or shift the key at the drop of a hat. I've always loved to hear her play but this time, in my Home, on My piano, it was transformative. Music is my favorite part of the Holidays and this year, her unwitting gift to me has shifted my perspective. Thanks Mom.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had a piano. Maybe I could have been a great piano player. Maybe, if I can get a piano, I could still become a good piano player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting. I've been blasting the Forgotten Carols in our house and the message and music in some of those songs is so moving. It has filled our home with a Christmas Spirit that has nothing to do with the gifts or rather lack of gifts that our tree won't be seeing this year. And were all okay with that.

    ReplyDelete