Thursday, December 3, 2009

which is stronger? Sensory memory, i.e. memory of events we experience through our senses; sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, or emotional memory, i.e. memory of how we feel about or felt during events. I think emotional memory is stronger and more accurate. I also believe that, in most cases, the way we feel is more important than what actually happened. Even as we recall events from our lives, our pleasure or distaste is based on our emotional memory of them. A group of people, all present at the same event, will give different accounts of what actually happened but each will recall, accurately, how they felt. This is why religious conviction must be built on personal feelings about doctrine and cannot be as strong if it is based on "proof". If conviction is based on proof, it will be questioned as the memory of it fades. So the Holy Ghost speaks directly to our emotions and doesn't perform physical miracles.
I think that's why I love music so much, it has an immediate emotional effect. Especially religious music, although I'm quite picky and I react strongly to any that seems contrived or insincere. Music is one of the best things about Christmas. I love hearing new interpretations of old classics, new Christmas songs and, of course, my all time favorites. Some songs from my childhood memory still evoke strong emotions every time I hear them. Mom and Dad had an old reel-to-reel tape player with a Christmas "mix". "Il le ne" & "Mele kalikimaka" are two of my faves from that recording. More recently I've been digging "Chrismas is the time to say I love you" by Darlene Love (remade in 2001 by SR 71 and later performed live in 2005 by Billy Sqier) "Il est ne" by Siouxsie and the Banshees "Little drummer boy" by Bing Crosby and David Bowie (has anyone ever heard a version of this song with a rockin' drum solo? seems like a no-brainer! Neil Pert where are you?) "Spirit of the season" by the MoTab and "Do you hear what I hear?" by Steve Stevens. I could go on... and on, maybe I'll try to find a way to post imeem links to those songs on this blog.Do You Hear What I Hear Christmas Is The Time Mele Kalikimaka Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth Sprit of the Season (from The Polar Expr...Il Est Ne Le Divin Enfant

No comments:

Post a Comment